Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sometimes you have to back track.

We are currently doing a unit on adjectives. Last week we did an intensive study of adjectives. During center time students did an independent activity on adjectives, had a mini lesson on adjectives with me, and had a full lesson on adjectives with my co-teacher. Our reading test included 4 questions on adjectives and most of my students did well. Friday we did acrostic poems of our names using adjectives - Smart athletic magnificent Today we began talking about adjectives that go with the 5 senses. I made a chart of the senses and I listed one adjective that went with each sense - Taste Touch Smell Sight Hearing Salty Rough Stinky Big Loud I asked students to give more examples. One of my brightest students raised her hand first. Her response, flower. Needless to say, I was floored. After all that instruction they still did not understand. I decided to go back and scale down today's lesson. I put the following on the board - Taste Touch Noun Adjective Noun Adjective 1. apple juicy 1. rock smooth 2. pickle salty 2. water cool I figured that by providing a noun it would help students come up with an adjective. Students copied the chart with the 2 examples above and had to provide 3 more sets of nouns and adjectives for taste and touch. I walked around to check their work, and they seemed to finally get it. Hopefully when we move on to the three other senses tomorrow they won't offer nouns as adjectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment