Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Multiplication

This week we began learning multiplication.  I introduced it by explaining arrays and repeated addition.  As I progressed throughout the week reviewing these two strategies with my students I learned something new myself.  I realized that I was teaching them in a way I never had before.  In repeated addition the multiplication fact 4x3 is written as 4+4+4.  I found myself telling students "You just write 4 three times.  That is why we say 4x3.  I guess I have always know this, but I have not always thought to explain it this way.  I think that far more children understood it when I explained it this way.  We also started on our 0, 1, and 2 facts this week.  I noticed many of my students using the repeated addition and arrays to help them with the facts they didn't know.  Do any of you have tricks of the trade that I can use?

1 comment:

  1. In introducing multiplication, I start with reading "Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream", then we create a foldable called "The Ways to Multiply". They include:

    1. Groups (3 x 5 = 3 groups of 5)
    2. Repeated Addition (3 x 5 = 5 + 5 + 5)
    3. Hops on a Number line.
    4. Arrays (3 x 5 = 3 rows of 5 in each row)
    5. Skip Counting (3 x 5 = 5, 10, 15)

    Here is one of my posts about arrays:
    http://teachingwithmoxie.blogspot.com/2013_01_01_archive.html

    This post has a couple of links in it to other fun multiplication activities. Enjoy!

    Diane
    Teaching With Moxie

    ReplyDelete